As professionals engaged in the provision of legal services to clients in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Miller, Turetsky, Rule & McLennan, including its affiliated partnerships, (collectively, the firm) is committed to protecting the privacy of confidential and “Personal Information” (information that directly or indirectly identifies individuals who may be clients, staff, agents, lawyers, law students, job applicants or others inside or outside the firm). It has always been and remains the policy of the firm to comply with the rules of professional conduct, which impose a duty to preserve and protect confidential client information, upon lawyers and their associated personnel.
This Privacy Statement (the “Statement”) is based on the privacy and data protection principles common to the jurisdictions in which we operate. We apply it in light of our overarching obligations to comply with law, to preserve client confidentiality and to represent our clients as effectively as possible within the bounds of the law. This Statement is intended to summarize the firm’s data protection practices generally, and to advise our clients, interested law students, job applicants, website visitors, and other third parties about the firm’s privacy policies that may be applicable to them.
This Statement is also specifically addressed to parties outside the firm who provide Personal Information to the firm or who visit or use the firm’s websites, our apps, our social media sites, our extranets, as well as email messages that we send to you that contain a link to this Statement (collectively, the “Internet Services”). This Statement also describes how the firm collects, processes and discloses Personal Information in connection with the provision of legal services and the Internet Services.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
We may use that Personal Information where in our legitimate interest to do so for the following purposes:
- to contact you and respond to your requests and enquiries
- to personalize your visit and use of our Internet Services and to assist you while you use those services
- to carry out, monitor and analyze our business or website operations
- to conduct our recruiting and selection process
- to provide you with legal services, if you are or become a client of the firm, and otherwise deal with you, and administer the matters you instruct us on
- to contact you (unless you tell us that you prefer us not to) regarding legal or law firm developments that may be of interest to you. If you do not want to receive publications or details of events or seminars that we consider may be of interest to you, you may do so by clicking on the unsubscribe link in electronic marketing communications
- to enter into or carry out contracts of various kinds
- to comply with applicable laws, regulations, guidance or professional obligations that we may be subject to, including anti-money laundering requirements. Where Personal Information is necessary for the firm to carry out its anti-money laundering checks failure to provide such information may result in the firm not being able to provide the representation.
Confidentiality, Security, and Retention of Personal Information
Consistent with our professional obligations, it has always been the policy of the firm to exercise the utmost discretion regarding the information our clients entrust to us.
We maintain reasonable and appropriate, albeit not infallible, physical, electronic and procedural safeguards intended to maintain the confidentiality of Personal Information, including that provided by a visitor to this website and provided while using other Internet Services. We do not guarantee that our safeguards will always work.
We may retain information provided by you, including Personal Information, for as long as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, or to achieve the purposes for which the information was originally collected and for the purposes described in the Statement and in our applicable policies.